[Tig] HD-CAM to inferno - bad reults

Philip Mendelson pmendelson
Sat Dec 1 22:26:41 GMT 2001

That's ridiculous.
The HDCam tape format uses pre-filtering in Luma and Chroma space as initial
bandwidth reduction.
It then uses a ~4:1 DCT intra-frame compression (less than the Pansonic
HD-D5), not unlike that used in a number of other Broadcast class machines,
including Digital Betacam.
There are no such standard Definition DV codecs inside that machine.

Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: Grant Petty [mailto:grantpetty at blackmagic-design.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2001 5:38 AM
To: tig at tig.alegria.com
Subject: Re: [Tig] HD-CAM to inferno - bad reults

Hi,

As far as I know, HD cam uses DV compression, and the image is divided
up into standard definition streams which are then processed by multiple
DV codecs. The resultant compressed video data is then combined from the
separate codecs, and then recorded to tape.

It's kind of like the DV camera of HDTV. I need to check on this, but I
believe this is how its done.

DV compression is nicer than JPEG, but it's fairly heavy, and that would
account for your problems. HDCAM is also 8 bit, while HD-D5 uses less
compression, and is 10 bit.

This is a little off topic, but the Panasonic guys told me they market
the DVC-HD products into the pro market, while the HD-D5 is targeted to
the high end post production market, because the image quality is much
higher.

Regards,

Grant Petty.
Blackmagic Design
www.blackmagic-design.com

--
Thank you Joe Moore of daVinci for supporting the TIG.

No marketing or advertising on the main TIG,
send submissions to tig-announce at tig.alegria.com