[Tig] HD-CAM to inferno - bad reults

Grant Petty grantpetty
Sun Dec 2 12:09:14 GMT 2001

Hi,

Interesting. DV also uses pre filtering (not in the spec, but used
commonly) and DCT transforms in the compression. It's also an
intra-frame compression format. Of course the DCT does not compress the
data, but just transfers it into the frequency domain, where the
quantizing, and variable bit rate encoding process is really where the
data rate reduction occurs.

I had been told the compression was very similar to DV compression, and
it used most of that technology in the format.

If this is not the case, does anyone have the real info on the
difference between HD-Cam, DVC HD, and HD D5 compression specs. Is there
anyone from Sony, and Panasonic on the list?

Regards,

Grant.
Blackmagic Design.

On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 09:26  AM, Philip Mendelson wrote:

> That's ridiculous.
> The HDCam tape format uses pre-filtering in Luma and Chroma space as
> initial
> bandwidth reduction.
> It then uses a ~4:1 DCT intra-frame compression (less than the Pansonic
> HD-D5), not unlike that used in a number of other Broadcast class
> machines,
> including Digital Betacam.
> There are no such standard Definition DV codecs inside that machine.
>
> Phil

This email is confidential and privileged. Only the intended recipient
may access or use it.? If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete this email and notify us promptly. I use virus scanning software
but exclude all liability for viruses or similar in any attachment.

Grant Petty
Blackmagic-Design

Unit 8, 212 Walsh Street
South Yarra,