[Tig] RE: Compressed Grade Transfers

Grant Petty grantpetty
Sun Nov 4 23:17:23 GMT 2001

Hi,

This is a topic I thought about a few years ago. I was considering
building up an SDI device to add a specific gain to the video signal so
it would "enhance" the grade.

So the idea was we could put these in the telecine monitor SDI video
line, and you would see an enhanced version of what you were really
grading, but in reality, the grade would be flatter down on tape.

We could then put the same devices in the edit suites, to make the
images look the same as the telecine suite, but the edited video would
also flat.

The idea is the clients and the editors would see a fairly normal
looking grade, but there would be a lot more detail in the video signal.
Then when a tape to tape grade was done, there would be a lot more
detail in the blacks and whites available to grade with.

I think basicly the SDI video interconnect was specified to transport
images for viewing, but this product was to try and redefine the levels
for a basic form of film data transport via 10 bit video.

The device would be digital and connected via SDI, so the gain amount
could be standard throughout the building, and the box's would not drift.

I never really got around to it though, as I was to busy building
uncompressed video cards at the time!

Perhaps someone else might want to make a product like this.

Regards,

Grant Petty.
Blackmagic Design.
www.blackmagic-design.com