[Tig] RE: Compressed Grade Transfers

Grant Petty grantpetty
Mon Nov 5 22:33:41 GMT 2001

Hi,

Yes, things are not as bad as the old analog days where you needed to
obtain an accurate signal level down on tape. such as 1" formats etc.
(seems so long ago now!)

To high a level and you got distortion, and to low level, and you got
lost in the tape noise.

Now because everything is digital it's not so bad, and the main concern
is bit depth, and the ability to transport the "flat" grade with enough
quantizing steps so when the video is color corrected back into a
"normal" grade you don't get contouring.

I know the audio guys have a issue with this, and is why they pushed
from 16 bit to 20 and beyond. I guess we have a big advantage with 10
bit now, over 8.

Regards,

Grant.
Blackmagic Design.