[Tig] How to search for video artifacts?

David L. Tosh dlt
Mon Nov 26 19:04:27 GMT 2001

At 03:58 PM 11/22/2001 -0800, Chuck Harrison wrote:
>...Video that has been processed through a compression coder-decoder
>("codec") will be compared directly against the pristine original.

I have found that compressors have a hard time with slow fades to black of
static scenes and white credit rolls on black. Both are common in TV and
Film real world programs. An acceptable codec should not produce any
distractions in this type of material.

Check out the work that Tektronix has done with their program quality
analyzer. There should be white papers available as well as articles in the
SMPTE Journal.

---
David Tosh
Complete Post, Hollywood