[Tig] Telecine type overview

Grant Petty grantpetty
Sun Oct 7 23:36:19 BST 2001

Hi,

Yes, I agree, and I have this feeling we are all amazed with the image
quality of HD purely based on the additional resolution of the format,
but if you exclude the resolution difference, a lot of the HD images I
have seen from film acquisition have been rather bad. I love film, but
the HD cameras are looking good!

Do you think we might be in a similar situation to what things might
have been like in the 70's when color was introduced, and it must have
looked amazing, but how much of that was based on the impact of seeing
color compared to black and white images. Of course we all know color
images improved over the 20-30 years since then, mostly due to SDI
interconnects, and digital recording, which kept image quality up
thought the post production process, and made telecine improvements
usable.

We have SDI connections for HD now, so we don't need to worry about
transport quality, but what kind of improvements do we expect to see in
telecine imaging. Can any of the telecine engineering guys describe some
of the challenges of scanning film at higher resolutions, as things seem
very different from the results we see.

Your point on post at higher resolutions is a good point. Matte painting
is generally done at 4K for 2K output, so post would work well with the
same idea of using HD even when output is going to SD. The worst HD keys
look much better after down rez to SD!

The problem is cost, and we're going to try and lower the cost of
editing and design at HD, but tapes and disk storage is still a little
high to be able to push doing everything at HD, even if the output is
only SD.

It would be cool though to be able to do everything at HD, and then
output to whatever format the client wanted. Most clients complain about
not getting any additional revenue from HD, but they still shoot on
film. If all post can be offered at HD, and the client does not have to
care, it could make it much easer for them. It's just a matter of
working out where the cost increases are in HD post, and changing things
in that area.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Regards,

Grant.