[Tig] Telecine type overview

David L. Tosh dlt
Tue Oct 9 00:39:14 BST 2001

Shows what I get for being in a hurry. I intended to mention the Rascal
from Cintel but forgot to add an entry. Was reminded by Adam Walsh of Cintel.

I completely forgot about Dave Walker's Cineglyph even though I (nearly)
raved about his other after-market kit for Cintel MKIII equipment.

As a clarification, I believe that all current machines that I have listed
in the High Definition class are capable of standard definition operation.
I knew that, I just failed to point it out :-) As pointed out by Grant
Petty, a picture that starts out in high definition can have a SD output
that has extra snap-- some extra feeling of resolution that we didn't see
in previous generation standard definition equipment. I think this is
mostly due to a modulation transfer curve that remains at high numbers
until it reaches the filtering limit imposed by the standard definition
output format. This is not due just to the fact that it started out high
definition-- we have an early ITK Y-Front on an URSA Gold here that often
gives the same snappy feeling. I think it is due to the couple of
generation's improvement to the bandwidth of the front-end of the machine.
I think anyone starting out to build a new SD telecine would be able to
create this "fat" high definition look with the current state of the art
parts.

But then, no one has designed a new, standard definition-only telecine in
the last 5 years, have they?

Two addenda to my previous post:

Cintel Rascal:
    Cintel have another HD telecine in addition to the C-Reality. The
Rascal Digital has evolved from previous lines to become a machine that has
C-Reality processing in a URSA-style chassis. The machine is said to be
able to do SD, HD and 2K data. I have no direct experience with this
machine but Adam Welsh of Cintel says there are 10 machines installed.

DAV Cineglyph:
    Dave Walker takes the chassis of a Rank MKIII and removes everything,
rebuilding it from the ground up. In the process, he ends up with a
telecine that is wide bandwidth-enough to do HD. He has an analog front-end
and a system of configurations for the frame-store that can create SD and
HD pictures with the correct output interface module. I looked at this
machine at his shop about a year ago and, although parts of it were not
complete, there were some pretty respectable pictures coming out of it. I
haven't seen the machine for about a year so don't know where it is (in
development) today.

----
David Tosh <dlt at earthlink.net>
Engineer, Complete Post Hollywood, CA USA