manufacturer posting (was: Re: [Tig] Spirit Shutdown)

Rob Lingelbach rob
Fri Oct 12 19:29:53 BST 2001

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 10:38:39AM -0700, Emory Cohen wrote:

> I believe there are several people from Thompson who read the Tig.
> Is there any Tig "regulation" which would prohibit a manufacturer from
> responding to this sort of inquiry?  If not, something from those who
> make the Spirit would be appreciated.

Hi Emory..
No there is no rule against a manufacturer participating in the tig with
posting information in repsonse to a specific query such as the one below.
The response is in fact welcome.  However, the line is drawn between
solicited and unsolicited: unsolicited information is usually
marketing-driven, and some solicited information can be construed as
marketing-- it's sort of a case of, you know it when you see it.

It gets tricky sometimes, apologies for that, but if anyone is unsure
if their prospective posting is "marketing", **please send it to me first
personally** and don't post to the main TIG.  I try to be fair.

There is a place for unsolicited product information, announcements, or
messages that could be construed as marketing: tig-announce at tig.alegria.com.

And of course there could never be any restriction to a manufacturer
responding to a question directly to the questioner, outside of the TIG.

Think of the main TIG mailinglist as a large conference at SMPTE or NAB
where the current speaker corresponds to the current message.  Or better
yet parallel conferences in rooms devoted to particular subjects.

--
Rob Lingelbach                         http://www.alegria.com
System Administrator                     rob at film.calarts.edu
Computer Animation Lab                        rob at alegria.com