[Tig] color perception of lights

Rob Lingelbach rob
Mon Oct 22 21:54:36 BST 2001

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 07:39:20PM -0700, Martin Euredjian wrote:

> The atmosphere over Los Angeles is nothing close to a clean
> and standard atmosphere.

When Native Americans were in the majority in Los Angeles, they called the
basin the "Valley of Smokes".  The smoke from anything burned tended to
rise a bit and then join fogs and haze to form a layer of murk.

A few years ago a 747 approached Hawthorne airport for a landing,
thinking it was LAX, and pulled up at the last minute.  The (1) runway
at Hawthorne is much shorter than what a 747 needs, but more or less in
the path of an eastern approach to LAX.

> I would guess that this smog bubble does something to surface lights
> when viewed through it from a vantage point well above the top of the dome.

when I see the lights of L.A., even from a plane, I am well
within the dome of influence of pollutants, as it's during either
an approach or a departure.  But I think the idea here is that the
color characteristics- spectrum, amplitude, etc. are more noticeable
when the source is somewhat of a point, rather than when it is providing
any ambience.

--
Rob Lingelbach                         http://www.alegria.com
System Administrator                     rob at film.calarts.edu