[Tig] patented color

Rob Lingelbach robling
Mon Aug 19 20:02:17 BST 2002

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 10:21:47AM -0500, Steve Hullfish wrote:

> hue and chrominance of that color is part of the trademark of the brand
> itself, so that it you tried to use that exact color on another soda,
> you would be violating their trademark.

posit the following: Coca-Cola has their red.  Seven-Up has their
green.  Mountain Dew has their puce.  Dr. Pepper has their
purple, Pepsi has their blue, ...can you see what we end up with?
The colors for sodas are all used up.  :\ I suppose the
vicissitudes of corporate marketing/trademark law are beyond the
scope of the tig, but there are definitely problems with the
logic.  The Ansel Adams trust could trademark his grayscale...

--
Rob Lingelbach   Senior Colorist, UCLA Film and Television Archive
robling at ucla.edu      http://www.alegria.com       rob at alegria.com