[Tig] HDCAM 23.98p vs 29.97p & down converting...

Bob Festa BFesta
Wed Jan 9 18:24:55 GMT 2002

Dave Satin wrote:

>One application note here: in my experience, the unity preset
>setting on the aperture corrector in the Sony F 500 deck is set way
>too high for my taste: the SOP at SMA is to turn down as low as
>possible all aperture correction and sharpening controls on the
>Sony downconverter.

Great point here Dave. I've always been concerned with contours and aperture
correction in the bay. I come from the less is more school. For a more
filmic look, its best to go as far upstream as possible and sweep out those
F500 menu items that involve aperture. I have worked in 1080psf recently
with Bob Giraldi on McDonalds and Hallmark spots, and it was the shooters
who brought this to my attention. In a HD signal flow there are too many
gotcha's between the source and record decks. Who would have thought that
high frequency management would involve looking under so many rocks.

Bob Festa         mailto:bfesta at rioting.com
Director of Commercial Imaging
R!OT Colors	Santa Monica       310 434-6000