[Tig] Digital Intermediate diagram question

Chuck Harrison cfharr
Wed Jul 3 21:07:01 BST 2002

Hi, Rob,

Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> Chuck, you have in your diagram at
> http://tig.alegria.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/DigitalCinema
>
> a box for "Standard Intermediate Colour Encoding" and
> "Standard Scene-Referred Colour Encoding".  Could you
> elaborate on to what these refer?

"Standard Intermediate Colour Encoding" would be something
like Cineon -- with a lot of latitude, and incorporating
the "look" of the camera filmstock.

"Standard Scene-Referred Colour Encoding" would be something
like we see in realistic CGI renderings. Raytracers &
radiance renderers can compute the actual light values in
a (simulated) scene, but they don't usually know anything
about what it would look like shot on Fuji 200D pushed
one stop (for example). CCD cameras (e.g. 24p HD) might
be able to record in a "pure" scene-referred color space.

BTW this terminology comes out of the Digital-Still-Camera
world, where some mighty smart guys are writing color
managment standards good enough to serve professional
photographers -- a pretty demanding bunch of artistes!

Cheers,
  Chuck