[Tig] D6 tape costs?

Jeff Heusser lists
Sun Jul 7 23:37:06 BST 2002

On Sunday, July 7, 2002, at 02:32  PM, Graham Collett wrote:
> No one seem to scoff at D1's when they came out at ?100,000 a piece,
> that
> must have been when?,  late eighties early nineties ... and  was
> probably
> 40% of the cost of a telecine at the time..  is it relatively the same
> now
> ??? I suppose the only difference may be that most were doing that sort
> of
> work where as only a small % are doing data today.

Kind of a tough comparison... what was the alternative back then, 1",
D2?  That was a leap of quality that justified the cost (and clients
would pay for).  An easier sell than a faster data drive.  Also I think
people are more savvy to the lifespan of any format now... data drives
seem to come and go and even video formats like D1 are becoming hard to
find (and support).  So to spend big $$$ on a format that is not in
widespread use, you better have a specific need because it is such a
crapshoot.  Also what to big data users outside our business use?

Does anyone know about technologies beyond re-inventing the tape drive?
Seems like we should be due for something in that area by now.

Jeff
---
Jeff Heusser
neonmargarita.com		jeff at neonmargarita.com