[Tig] what is where (tk count)

Pedro Conforti pedroconforti
Tue Jul 16 14:12:54 BST 2002

Here in Brasil things are going from bad to nightmare in the telecine field
(and the whole post production market) since 2000. It can be explained by 3
main reasons:

1) the US dollar exchange rate change against Brasil's Real in the last 4
years. Since it have gone from an 1-1 rate to a 3-1 basis, clients who used
to pay, say R$600 (US$600) for an hour of SD work with the best colorist,
are now paying about R$450 (US$158) due to the Real devalue;

2) Since the market is really low these days, clients keep pushing prices
unfairly down and down, accepting even lower quality on their jobs (by
working with begginers), so they can get ridiculous discounts, like 50 Reais
less / hour (about US$18).

3) And remember, whenever we buy new equipment, we pay in US$, although our
clients pay us with Reais. You can guess how difficult it is to keep up a
business so expensive like ours with such a low income.

So now prices are more or less like this:

R$ 450-650  - SD commercial
R$ 300-450  - SD music videos / dailies
R$ 900-1000 - HD commercial
R$ 800-900  - HD music video

in US$, this would be:

US$ 158-230  - SD commercial
US$ 105-158  - SD music videos / dailies
US$ 315-351  - HD commercial
US$ 280-315  - HD music video

As you can see, prices are unbelievable low here these days. I hope
something happens to change this situation, because having almost no work,
at this price, cannot lead any post-production house to a bright future.
Unfortunatly, this is the kind of situation that clients choose to ignore
until it is too late.

Regards,

Pedro

--