[Tig] Digital Negatives [was HIGH DEFINITION]

Marc Wielage mfw
Wed Jul 17 01:03:28 BST 2002

Chris Schwarze <chris.schwarze at completepost.com.au> commented on the TIG
List on 7/16/02 1:59 PM:

> I find it interesting that a Lab timed interneg/interpos film requires
> several days in a digital grading room before an acceptable result is
> obtained for TV or DVD release. Add to that despotting time to repair the
> inevitable defects, dirt sparkle etc from the film process. Does this mean
> that transferring to digital from camera neg, grading digitally and
> despotting will result is a 'better' more consistent grade and a cleaner
> release print?
>--------------------------------<snip>-------------------------------<

I think the most honest answer is "it depends."  Given sufficient resolution
and enough bits, yes, it should be better -- cleaner, for sure.  But there
are a lot of variables, such as the quality of the original input-scanning
device, and different methods used to create the final film-out negative.

In the case of a 16mm -> data correction -> 35mm print, I think the results
can look better than a straight 16mm optical blow-up to 35mm.

Also, "several days" is kind of a misnomer.  I know of many major films that
took more than a month to color-correct the IP just for home video release
-- either due to length reasons (like the recent LORD OF THE RINGS),
creative/artistic problems, or having many people involved with the
color-timing decisions.

--Marc Wielage/Cinesite
  Hollywood, USA

[Note: the opinions expressed expressed above are strictly my own, and not
necessarily that of my employers.]