[Tig] loss of access.

Rob Lingelbach robling
Mon Sep 30 23:42:04 BST 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Bruce Curl wrote:

> I thought you should be giving a DETAILED wish.  I don't have the ability to
> grant the wish, but I bet collectively there are people with enough time to
> search out the best deal for the below and start a donation fund earmarked
> for this.  Remind us all how to go about donating please.
>
> Bruce A. Curl
>   bcurl at earthlink.net <mailto:bcurl at earthlink.net>
> Pasadena, CA
>
> On 2002-09-29 at 22:19, you wrote:
> > What would a NICE portable have in it besides Linux for the TIG sysop?
>
> Bruce, thanks for asking:
>
> 800Mhz PIII or similar
> at least 15gb drive  (important)
> at least 128mb ram
> DVDcombo drive, though CD burner at minimum
> 1600x1280 or maybe could live with 1280x1024
> internal 56k modem, with chipset compatible with open source drivers
>   (i have more info on this)
> video chipset supported by Xfree86 or the aftermarket X servers
>     (also have more info on this I can dig up)
>
> I have a lot of experience loading linux so it doesn't have to have
> that already installed/

I have had success with the open source code for the winmodem and the
display chipsets on the Compaq Presario 1800 and 1800T.

Used, i have seen these go for around $800 or so on ebay, but I have
never personally successfully used ebay and guess I'm a little intimidated
by it.

--
Rob Lingelbach  Senior Colorist UCLA Film and Television Archive
robling at ucla.edu   http://www.alegria.com   rob at alegria.com