[tig] Re: [Post] Cable labels (was HDTV Colour)

Thayer Howard Howard.Thayer
Mon Aug 4 17:04:51 BST 2003

A D5 VTR has 19 cables that have to be connected. In the heat of battle when
trying to get that "extra machine that was not supposed to be needed but was
needed at the last minute because we booked more VTR's than we physically
have" connected while the clients are asking "why is this taking so long?" I
for one do not want to have to go back to a database to find out where wire
number 189026378 goes. With the higher resolution you can get with smaller
fonts, it is easy to have enough information on the label to know a)where it
comes from and b) where it goes to.

I do agree that there needs to be one person responsible for keeping
everything up to date. It has to become a priority or and be strictly
adhered to or it will quickly deteriorate into a holy mess. I try (as often
as possible) to live by the rule that nothing gets installed until the
documentation is complete.

HT

Howard Thayer
Engineering