[tig] Long-term digital image archive

Wylie Sammy F Civ 88 ABW/LCMPS/MPPL Sammy.Wylie
Tue Aug 19 14:29:50 BST 2003

"Political will lacking" is a pretty good descriptor of the current situation.

There have been several heated debates on the AMIA Listserv  (Assoc. of Moving Image Archivists www.amianet.org) that basically revolved around the lines of "electronic vs. photochemical" where each party abhors using the other's technology to archive the information.

Frankly, until there is a real archival digital format, I don't see why 35mm b&w film couldn't be used for extra long archival storage.  Those who object to the "purity" of storing electronic signals on celluloid are, IMHO, strange.

Hey, I will gladly store "The Great Train Robbery" on digital files, why won't you store "Mr. Rogers" on 35mm film as a binary code?  ;-)

S. Frank Wylie
Lab Supervisor
Library of Congress
Motion Picture Preservation Laboratory
937-258-7220, 7221, 7222 and 7223 voice
937-252-3019 fax
All opinions expressed are my own and do not represent the official view of the Library of Congress