[tig] Re: [OT] Human Vision

Marc Wielage mfw
Wed Dec 24 22:44:09 GMT 2003

On 12/24/03 10:20 AM, "Rob Lingelbach" <rob at calarts.edu> wrote:

> Last
> night I listened to the Stones' Aftermath album on CD and
> then on vinyl, on a passably good system (though not as
> amazing as the Magnaplanars-Bryston system i used to use)
> and i heard things in the vinyl missing from the CD, timbre,
> dynamics, a certain softness.
>--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

You should listen to the recent Super Audio CD release of the Stones stuff.
Although I'm not a huge Rolling Stones fan, I've listened to a few of their
albums dozens of times, and there's no question to me that the some of the
SACD discs sound head and shoulders better than at least the American vinyl.

This was born out by some super-positive reviews in ABSOLUTE SOUND and
STEREOPHILE over the summer, BTW.

So in this case, the "new and improved" release really held up to the hype.
That doesn't seem to happen often enough these days...

--Marc Wielage
  LA colorist-at-large

P.S.  Happy holidays, folks!