[tig] HDTV colour

Martin Euredjian ecinema
Thu Jul 31 20:05:54 BST 2003

Adrian Thomas wrote:

> Sorry, my comment was probably a bit too short. What I meant to write
> was "What's wrong with using English for your labelling scheme?" Works
> for me - no key required!
>
> Think of English (or Spanish, if you prefer) as a 'high level' scheme
> and you can still feel technically sophisticated...

Yeah, it was too short. :-)  One day I'm going to try documenting a facility
in Armenian.  Talk about job security!

You know, over the years I've been surprised many time at how much time is
burned by engineers concocting complicated wiring schemes that are really
not supportable without the "evangelist" someone mentioned in a prior post.
These schemes die as soon as there's either a regime change, enough of the
engineering department changes or enough time passes.  All you have to do is
walk into a facility that's been around for 15~20+ years and have a look.
 From what I've seen the complex color/numbering/nomenclature schemes become
isolated to pockets within a facility that were done by the regime that
demanded that scheme.  With the agglomeration of facilities by larger
entities you are pretty much guaranteed that none of the facilities that
fall under one corporate umbrella are going to use matching standards.

So, the real question is, over the lifetime of a system, what are the true
advantages of implementing such complexity in the wiring system?  I can
understand that television broadcasting facilities might have reliability
requirements (as someone explained earlier) that would warrant color coding
for the sake of not making a silly mistake on air.  In most post
environments, however, and particularly with today's technology, you spend
most of your time dealing with opertional issues rather than neck-deep in
coax in the back of a rack trying to figure out how you got there in the
first place.  As someone pointed out, I can see switching from black to
white cable to enhance visibility.  But, beyond that, it is my (not humble)
opinion that complex wiring schemes are a total waste of effort.  If you
build a telecine bay and have to spend a significant amount of time dorking
around with cabling after the initial power-up/testing/calibration phase
there's something seriouly wrong with the system.  So, the only time you are
going to go back there is if something breaks or if the system is being
upgraded/modified.  The wiring will sit there in it's complex-coded glory
for years without providing one iota of benefit to the bottom line.  I just
don't see it.  But, what do I know.

Maybe this whole issue of wiring system coding is deeply rooted in
psychology and personality traits.  This would make it a much deeper subject
than most would believe.  Maybe someone can devise a hiring system based on
cable color preference:  What does it mean when you prefer purple for HSDSI
instead of orange?  Hmmmm...  :-)

Martin Euredjian
eCinema Systems, Inc.
voice: 661-305-9320