[tig] FW: Aaton Keylink and the 23.98 timecode problem..?

Richard Torpey rtorpey
Wed Jul 2 23:46:58 BST 2003

Rich Torpey
VP Engineering
Rhinoceros/MultiVideo Group
50 East 42 Street
New York, NY 10017
(212) 986-1577
(212) 972-0702 fax

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ds at Softimage.COM [mailto:owner-ds at Softimage.COM] On Behalf
Of bernardo
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 6:29 PM
Forwarded from the DS Softimage list -

Any suggestions for Bernardo? Please cc him directly as well as replies
to the list.

bernardo at estudiosmega.com.br

Thanks,
Rich Torpey
Rhinoceros/MultiVideo Group
50 East 42 Street
New York, NY 10017

To: DS at Softimage.COM
Subject: Aaton Keylink and the 23.98 timecode problem..?

Hi all.
 well, i tried the AFE workflow to conform film composer sequences at
23.98 and it did work great!!

it Really works!

But now i'm trying to conform a film composer project (35mm) and the
Telecine facility can't output the Online HDCAMs at 23.98p with the same
correspondent time code that they did with the Analog Betacams(29.97
with pulldown).
I mean, if we get an analog betacam at 01:03:02:00 (29.97i)  we should
get an HDCAm at 01:03:02:00 (23.98p) with the same frame! (or at least
kind of it because they are at the :00 frame)

The Problem is:

-the telecine guys are saying that the AATON KEYLINK(kind of a timecode
generator) (at the Telecine-- Cintel C-Reality // Da Vinci 2k) can't
output the same correspondent timecode that was 29.97 to 23.98 HDCAM (or
that they did not know).
For this reason they're sending me a new timecode and i should go cut by
cut and conform it having the offline as only reference( i mean i'm
going to do it with my eyes not with an EDL or AFE list)
-They can output at 23.98, but not with the correspondent timecode.

MY QUESTION IS
-There's a Trick inside the AATON KEYLINK ? Someway i can help them? or
it's just a version of the AATON KEYLINK that really don't do that...
I know nothing about telecine , but if someone in the list could help i
would be really thankfull!!

thanks in advance

Bernardo