[tig] Noise Reducer problem

CB Gaines cbgaines
Thu Jul 10 00:56:53 BST 2003

We added fans to the top covers, and heat sink under the main chip of
our MNR11s years ago. I think this is a "must have" modification. ;)

I was also told by our engineer that these chips are next to impossible
to replace.

Once we took care of the overheating, we've had no more problems with
the units. Very solid performers.

CB Gaines
Colorist, Monaco Video, San Francisco

-----Original Message-----
From: tig-admin at tig.colorist.org [mailto:tig-admin at tig.colorist.org] On
Behalf Of jeffh
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 1:46 PM
To: tig
Subject: [tig] Noise Reducer problem

TIG TWiki collaborative project is at http://tig.colorist.org.
Thanks to Ken Chambliss for support.

Hello...I am using a BTS MNR 11 with a Quadra FDL and daVinci 888.  From
time to time, I get these horizontal
glitches/noise/dots/lines/whatever-else-you-want-to-call-them appearing
in the signal path; this is definitely not a problem with the telecine
or color-corrector - it is the NR.  We called BTS (now apparently GV)
and the tech over there says it is a temperature issue; there are these
Sony modules which are used with each of the boards in the NR; when they
get too hot this problem occurs.  Apparently this is a known problem; it
seems as if we are not by any means the first to experience this.  We
were told to make sure the NR is kept cool; we are subsequently putting
in place a panel of fans to see if this alleviates the problem by
keeping the NR temperature down.

I was wondering if there was anyone else out there that has/had an MNR
11, and if anyone has seen this before, and what, if anything was done
to help the situation.

Thanks much in advance.

--
No marketing or advertising on the tig.  (help wanted ads excepted)
Send such submissions to rob at calarts.edu
For contributions see http://tig.colorist.org the "make a donation"
button or http://colorist.org/tig3/info.html#money