[tig] light-struck

Jeff Kreines jeffkreines
Thu Jul 24 20:51:40 BST 2003

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 02:38 PM, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> It is
> grayish-white acetate film that behaves nicely in use for
> leader on negative.  Could someone enlighten me about how it
> is made and from what base stock?

It is more than likely print stock.  I'd guess it's B&W print stock
(5302 or equivalent) though color stock is cheaper.  Probably not
camera stock, as the color is wrong, and most current stocks (color
neg, that is) have a REM JET backing on the base side that is removed
during processing.

Note that print stock usually has (unless a special order) a different
pitch from camera negative stocks.  Not a problem for leaders, though
be sure to leave a foot or two of actual camera neg between the end of
the lightstruck leader and first frame of picture.

Lightstruck was always cool when run through a projector, as you'd get
framelines visible after the exposure to very bright light.  Also you'd
get interesting patterns based on the amount of exposure to light --
like a photogram or Man Ray's Rayograms...

Jeff "spent time in the darkroom in his youth" Kreines