[tig] Digibeta NTSC/PAL Mod

Carson Leistikow carson
Mon Jul 28 19:45:09 BST 2003

  You can remove the "mod" by removing the modified boards and installing
unmodified boards. The deck will then perform as an unmodified deck.  If an
unmodified machine is made available to Sony they will service it.  If the
problem is with the modified board  the company offering the modification
supports the product very well.

The modification is easy to bypass and Sony has always been fair in
supporting their product. They do reserve the right to void  warranties if
the product has been changed, modified or used for any other function than
what it was designed for.

Though I do not own such a modified deck I have researched this mod and the
company and found them to be excellent. At this time it is better for us to
rent the PAL Digibetacam.  I always try to rent the dualdigi decks so we
can switch formats as needed.

If I needed a PAL/NTSC Digibeta  I would  purchase a good, newer, used
deck  and have it updated, serviced and add the dualdigi mod.  Thus no
warranty to worry about.  You can start with either format and have the mod
added for the other format.  I have seen many good deals on used PAL
Digibeta outside the US.

  Actually you can have more warranty problems purchasing a NEW PAL
Digibetacam in another country have it imported into the US.  Though it is
new it is outside the Sony USA warranty coverage.

Carson Leistikow
Digital Domain