[tig] Digibeta NTSC/PAL Mod

James DeLuca james_deluca
Mon Jul 28 21:46:55 BST 2003

Subject: Re: [tig] Digibeta NTSC/PAL Mod

Playback Alternative to Dual Std. Modified DVW-A510 is Sony's MSW-M2100.
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professional/docs/brochures/msw2000%20series.pdf

525/626 Playback of DigiBeta, Betacam, Betacam-SP, Betacam-SX and Beta-IMX.
We got one when the mfr stopped production on a A510 we had on order.
List is $30K + options (none needed other than rack mount for regular use.)

We've had one potentially expensive (beware warranty: 1yr parts, 6mo labor )
repair for disappearing audio P.B. from DigiBeta tapes (subtle board
problem).
It took them awhile to isolate it (Burbank, CA) without another unit to swap
modules!

Otherwise our Q.C. operators are happy with it. We use no external reference
with it, so all our operators have to do is use the menu to change standards
and cycle power. We have NO experience playing Beta-IMX, Beta-SX and Beta-SP
on this dedicated QC machine. Also, we have no experience with the recording
versions.

For awhile, we had complaints that this unit would play flawlessly, tapes
that showed problems when played on A500s, (i.e. it masked some problems)
but the issue seems to have disappeared on its own.

Standard Disclaimer: No connection with Sony other than as a customer.

Jim DeLuca, Senior Video Engr.
Crest National Digital Media Complex - Video Lab
1000 N Highland Ave; Hollywood, CA 90038-4207
<mailto:james_deluca at crestnational.com>  (best option)
323.860.1300 ext 296           fax 323.461.8901