[tig] OT: Siggraph and mass transportation

David L. Tosh dlt
Wed Jul 30 17:38:02 BST 2003

I went to Siggraph in San Diego for a day trip yesterday. What I saw
in the exhibition was less interesting than the way I traveled.

I got on the Los Angeles MetroRail Gold Line station that is 1.5
miles from my house. Thirty five minutes later I was at Los Angeles
Union station where I purchased an Amtrack round trip ticket. I
arrived in San Diego and walked across the street to board the Red
Car Trolley line and stepped off in front of the San Diego Convention
center.

It made for a long day but I was on site from 10:30AM to 5PM and it
cost less than the amount of fuel required for my truck. And, I
didn't have to drive. The transit time was comparable to driving with
no delays (I heard several people who drove LA-SD on Sunday took
twice as long as normal due to various traffic problems.)

Mass transit in Southern California is still neither pervasive or
common, but I've a glimpse of how it could be and love it.
--

David Tosh
<dlt at earthlink.net>