[tig] Cable Labels and alternate reality

Philip Mendelson pmendelson
Wed Jul 30 19:08:13 BST 2003

One addition to my earlier posting.

The color code is actually a 2 digit code, that combines the EIA color and
the signal type.
This is useful, when the RS422 cable you buy can only be the same color as
the Single pair audio cable you are using, as an example.

It's also quite useful when you are holding 2 blue CAT 5 cables, but one of
them is Ethernet, and the other is, say RS422..or whatever.

Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: David Tosh [mailto:dlt at earthlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 10:53 AM
To: TIG
Subject: [tig] Cable Labels and alternate reality

TIG TWiki collaborative project is at http://tig.colorist.org.
Craig Nichols supports the TIG.

At 10:20 AM 7/30/2003 -0700, Martin Euredjian wrote:
>There is a possible fourth reason:  You are trying to figure out how you
>ended up in the back of a rack holding a cable.  You don't remember the
last
>24 hours of your life and hope to hell the cable lable might lend a clue
>that could help bring you back to an alternate reality.

(LOL) I didn't realize you were watching me.

Your cable labeling scheme is reasonable. I try to always have a database
of cable numbers on line (and reasonably up to date.) In that case, the
number indexes to the "current" information.

Since the Apple Newton came out, I have been wishing we had a pocket viewer
connected to the database. Then, given option four, I could drop the cable
and enter the number into my PDA and know why I was there. (Hmmm, wonder
how 802.11b/g does when saturated by 27 and 74.25MHz harmonics?)

Cable number/label systems work best when you have one "evangelist" working
for you who makes it his/her top priority to be correct and up to date.
Since that can be 60 - 90% of their job, it is really hard to manage that
in these days of lean and grumpy engineering departments. (Another
alternate reality.)

David Tosh <dlt at earthlink.net>

--
No marketing or advertising on the tig.  (help wanted ads excepted)
Send such submissions to rob at calarts.edu
or http://colorist.org/tig3/info.html#money