[tig] RE: [Post] HDTV colour

Miller, William C William.C.Miller
Wed Jul 30 15:25:02 BST 2003

A SMPTE EG outlining general principles for color selection might make sense, but because each company has its own practices, you'd never get industry consensus on an RP.  The work would lie within N26's scope.

The ABC NY cable jacket color code:

Black	Legacy analog audio and video
Grey	Legacy analog audio; some multipair control
White 	SD digital video
Red	HD digital video
Orange	Digital audio
Blue	Analog NTSC
RGB	Analog component (used sparingly and always together)
Yellow	Analog sync and BB (used sparingly)
Green	Ground (earth)
Pink	Data
Purple	Data

As a general rule, we now avoid black and other dark colors because they soak up light in racks and cableways.  We find that by using white and orange for the bulk of our cabling (our HD is still in islands within the plant), we no longer need to use drop lights to see inside the rear of our racks.  Had yellow nort already been reserved for sync, we probably would have used it for HD video instead of red.  Green is reserved for ground because rack groundling cables are typically about the same diameter as coax.

We also color code jackfields.  I can share that if you're interested.

Best regards,
Bill

William C. Miller
ABC-TV