[tig] RE: [Post] HDTV colour

Jeff Booth jeff.booth
Wed Jul 30 21:11:13 BST 2003

I agree completely. The various HD/SD facilities (worldwide) are NOT going
to rewire their entire installations just because the SMPTE (or EBU) suggest
or recommend cable colours for each type of signal!

Might have worked if it had been done 30 years ago!

This is a typical BBC proposal (I should know, I worked there for 22 years).
Trying to do things 'their way', thinking everyone else will follow suit
becasue they are 'The BBC'!

 From the huge number of permutations of cable colour everyone has adopted (I
have seen this from the huge number of HPA, TIG and personal e-mails I have
received) I think this is a complete no-hoper.

The only common thing I have seen is to use Red (cable boots) for Red (and
R-Y), Green for Green and Blue for Blue (and B-Y).

Can we stop this now, please.

Jeff (Jesus H Christ! What have I started!) Booth
Soho Images
London

-----Original Message-----
From: Symes Peter
To: Long, Stephen W.; dan at starkravingsolutions.com;
eric at lab-tech-systems.com; post at lists.hpaonline.com
Cc: TIG; Bill Miller (SMPTE) (E-mail)
Sent: 30/07/03 20:52
Subject: RE: [Post] HDTV colour

Steve,

I'd be happy to have SMPTE work on this if I felt that there was some
likelyhood of agreement, but the extract from Dave Coopey's e-mail
(below) suggests that those who think it important probably already have
a code - and probably they are all different!

"The major networks in the US all use different in-house standards for
cable color coding. However, most affiliate stations do not use their
parent network's color codes."

Peter D. Symes
SMPTE Engineering Vice President
Thomson Broadcast & Media Solutions Inc.
400 Providence Mine Road
Nevada City, CA 95959
USA

Tel: +1 (530) 478-3437