[Tig] US media rules changed

Robert Lovejoy rlovejoy
Mon Jun 2 20:24:45 BST 2003

Ah yes.  I remember way back in college, taking TV-R courses at
Syracuse, we were taught "the airwaves belong to the public".  Now they
belong to the mega-corporations.  A few individuals now have control
over what the masses may be exposed to.  Don't think they won't use
that control (remember the Dixie Chicks got dropped by Clear Channel
for speaking out against Bush's war plans).

I'd mention something about diversity but that went out the window (on
radio anyway) after the payola scandals of the fifties.  Free form
degenerated into the Format, playlists shrunk from thousands to
hundreds to tens of songs. It's better explained here:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/5/29/11911/9588

O brave new world...

Robert Lovejoy
a wholly owned subsidiary of the Acme Corporation.