[tig] More funny stuff. All true

Richard Torpey rtorpey
Fri Jun 13 01:17:37 BST 2003

No, you're not the only one. However, to be done properly - you must
first be standing by a locked cabinet, supply room door, locked rack,
etc. and have a large & heavy ring of keys in your hand and a
disappointed look on your face. Only then do you send the newbie off in
search of the key to the genlock.
BTW, did you know that a 10k 1/4 watt resistor in a 120v outlet gives
you anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes to establish an alibi before it goes
puff ;-)
Also, when introducing the newbie to dual standard VTR operations (PAL
to NTSC operators in this example) it is incumbent on all to first
explain the intricacies of PAL reference, PAL timing/blanking/level
standards and last but not least instruct them to request some PAL raw
stock before making a basic.

Rich Torpey

-----Original Message-----
From: tig-admin at tig.colorist.org [mailto:tig-admin at tig.colorist.org] On
Behalf Of Lapointe Michel
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 4:26 PM
To: tig at tig.colorist.org
Subject: RE: [tig] More funny stuff. All true

So am I the only one who ever sent a new tech looking for the genlock
key?

I was trying to load a 35 mag with no markers
so I asked the colorist how to recognize the coating side.
" very easy:  it's just like the film emulsion side. It will stick
to your lip "
  ...  I tried it and it's not true :-)

a tech director putting a monitor in H/V delay
to show a new tech he expected him to be  able to read VITC by mentally
converting the
white squares to 0 and 1.  ...  all the time glancing at a TC reader 2
racks away...

We had a film transfer rejected by a broadcaster in Japan.
The QC report came with a single time code and some japanese writing.
We had the note translated :  it was simply marked "hair".
gee, must be a huge film damage.....

But we could not find a single speck of dust in this whole section.
...after everybody looked at the screen a number of times,  someone
finally figured out that ...pubic hair  was apparent in this love
scene......

Michel Lapointe
NFB