[Tig] sorry ( a diatribe on the use of the TIG by CL )

Rob Lingelbach caltech
Thu Mar 6 02:56:10 GMT 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 07:41:40PM -0600, Craig Leffel wrote:

> it's my personal favorite way to spend time - arguing that is. I like
> it, and I have fun with it.

there's a career for you after telecine, in academia!

> there are 9 zillion manufacturers listening, and more than once I have
> received phone calls or emails from some of them protesting that I
> complained too harshly, openly, or too subjectively/ ( see anger;
> namecalling; and passionate tired opinions )  to a list of 1000 people or
> whatever it is now.....

1200 more or less, today 7 new subscribers.  true about the
manufacturers, but try not to let them influence you too much,
if a call comes in from them consider it a compliment that they
are paying attention to you.

incidentally, the biggest difference in administering the TIG
since 1994 is the existence of spam.  Dave Tosh and I have to
screen many of the subscriptions to the tig with additional
dialogue and comb through submissions from unsubscribed addresses
to pick out the valid messages.  I spend personally about an hour
every day dealing with spam, and i'm running tight filtration.
If it gets much worse i would consider vacating the internet. (i
gave a deposition in legal action against the first spammer on
the internet, and look what good it did.)

> and guess what? No one does anything when it all goes
> horribly wrong, or doesn't work as promised.

I know you didn't mean your own engineers, and among manufacturers
there are exceptions, who have been discussed here.

> BUT we don't do it collectively. For those
> few of us that still work for independent house, the TIG is a very powerful
> tool. When we use it that way. However, so many of us these days are no
> longer independent that it doesn't really matter anymore.

I know how you feel, and that factor contributes to my own
decision to move out of the commercial world.  Unfortunately
megacorporatization, genesis the US, doesn't contribute to the
quality of life except for that of stockholders and the rich.

> On top of it, many
> colorists tell me they are not allowed to comment. That, in particular,
> boggles me. It seems like the number grows each year. What people think they
> are hiding is beyond me.

squelched in the name of antiterrorism no doubt.

> The colorists that get on here
> and still share their advice, experience, stories, thoughts and beliefs
> should be thanked, lauded, and extolled

ah, the Tweaker award comes to mind...

there is an intimidation factor in posting to a large learned
luminous albeit lumbering group like ours, the fear of being
ganged up on, fear of being chastised publicly, etc.  It's a good
reason to be tactful when addressing questions or comments
brought up by others in the group; this may seem at odds with the
desire for an open discussion but there needn't be vitriol or
showmanship in our dialogues.

> I always learn, our engineers always learn, and a lot of
> off-line conversations happen with the TIG as the front door.

that's a great point.  it's really useful to remember that this
can be an entrance to further options, like the archives,
they can be searched for previous comments and for indivdual
addresses to whom requests for information are sent.

> As for your HD Superbowl questions / suggestions, I'll give you my own
> personal opinion.
>
> I don't really care.

hah hah.!  you explain it well afterwards why you don't, but that
doesn't mean some of us aren't wishing we did, that the common
people were more aware of the benefits of high quality motion
presentation, other than financial-- the benefits in particular
to art.

incidentally, I'd like to welcome Chris Devlin to the TIG.

regards
--Rob
TIG founder-coadmin

Rob Lingelbach    unix system administrator    caltech at calarts.edu
You can fool all the people all of the time if the advertising is
right and the budget is big enough.
		-- Joseph E. Levine