FW: [Tig] D-Cinema Suite contd.

Stan Chayka schayka
Sat Mar 8 20:29:16 GMT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Stan Chayka [mailto:schayka at nuwaveinc.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 1:30 PM
To: Steven Gladstone
Subject: RE: [Tig] D-Cinema Suite contd.

Hi Steven,

I think that the answer to your scenario is no.

I also had tested for this condition by placing an art card with a cutout on
the face of the monitor so that my eyes were not being affected as you
describe would occur.

I probably should have mentioned this in my posting.

The point to consider is that when the white bar is exposed, the light level
behind the pluge area is actually higher making the point of extinction that
much harder to set.

Kind of like having a bias light inside the crt.

This results in a monitor calibration that compensates for this effect under
the conditions of color bars but not necessarily typical picture content.

This effect may not be present in a projection system and would cause the
colorist to determine the blacks with a different viewpoint.

When I first started in post-production in the early 70's,  the monitors
were not being set by the pluge technique because this test signal was not
available.  Instead, the video operator would get as close to the monitor as
possible, turn off 2 of the 3 guns, and set the point of extinction for each
gun.  He would then repeat the process for each of the guns.(R,G,B) This
goes back to Conrac CYB monitors, the industry standard of the age. This
technique did not address the problems caused by viewing distance and the
pluge was used to overcome the arbitrary fudging of the guns to a level
above extinction that was actually required for distance viewing.

I would like to think that if the pluge is used to set the extinction point,
it be done without the contamination of the color bars, and, then see if the
blacks match better with projection systems.  If this works, we can then
create images that are as desired for both CRT and projection viewing. If it
is not the answer, we are faced with the added burden of producing 2
masters, 1 for projection, and 1 for crt display.

The name of the game is repeatability. Display independence is also now a
desired goal as the consumer now has the choice of display technologies for
the home.

My questions are based on polling the group as to just how much of a problem
the mismatch between images is when viewed by the critical eyes of our
industry.

Since you contacted me directly, if you do not have a concern about privacy,
resend this email to the TIG for the general population?
Best Regards,
Stan Chayka
President, NextGen Associates Inc