[Tig] alpha switcher help

Martin.Holmes martinh
Mon May 5 18:14:05 BST 2003

Greg,
Some of the old Alpha guys were at PSP and Snell & Wilcox.  I will forward
your request to them to see if thy can help.

Best, MH.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Dildine" <greg.dildine at finishedit.com>
To: <tig at tig.colorist.org>; <tig-admin at tig.colorist.org>
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Tig] alpha switcher help

Don Trepczyk supports the tig.

The Alpha Image 500 (Digital Vision Mixer) with an Alphie panel is dying...
This small 601 switcher is used in our color suite.

If anyone can offer any help (see below), or if anyone has one  or parts for
sale 'cause they've retired theirs, please contact me.

Our issue is that the 601 input(s) to the Video (fgnd) Layer have become
unusable (while using Super Layer Mixing & Wiping).  It is always hard to
describe what "bad video" "looks like."  I'd describe it now as looking more
like a "tearing"with fluctuating diagonal distorting including blanking
coming into the pix, rather than stuff like PtoS problems or digital "hits."
There is definitely some "digital green" fluctuating thru the pix in lines
and larger areas too.  I could certainly send some frames grab to anyone
that thinks they could help...   Anyway, the Background layer passes video
just fine. The Video/Fgnd (the Alphie labels it Video but some might call it
fgnd; they label the bkgnd as Background) layer can be used for the internal
Black and Video Matte just fine.  This slow death has progressed from  the
Video layer inputs showing intermittent digital "zippers" to now showing
this really bad looking pix.  There was a period where Bars from our sync
generator showed no or fewer problems than other sources like our DDR or
tape machines, but now Bars look just as bad.  During this period I could
also step the DDR to some frames that would cause the switcher to pass good
video while some frames went batty.  Now all input 601 looks bad through the
Video/Fgnd bus.

Also of note is that the Trackball won't work.  This is used for moving
around the wipes, as well as changing stuff in the menus.  Weird.  Both of
these issues were going away for shortening periods of time after power
cycles...

So, anyone out there with some help or parts for sale??  (Our current
back-up plan is for the most inexpensive 601-only used switcher... which at
the moment seems to be a  used For.A for around $8K...  all this until we
really need an HD switcher...)

Thanks,

Greg Dildine
Colorist
Finish - Boston
greg.dildine at finishedit.com

--
No marketing or advertising on the tig.  (help wanted ads excepted)
Send such submissions to rob at calarts.edu
or http://colorist.org/tig3/info.html#money