[Tig] (no subject)

Craig Nichols cnichols
Mon May 5 20:29:18 BST 2003

If you clean the condenser lens (behind the gate) and do not have it fully
seated, I have seen problems similar to those you describe.  Since the
condenser is behind the color wheel it is somewhat difficult to see when
putting back it, but you can develop a "feel" for it and pretty easily take
it in and out blind (it's a good idea to use a white cotton glove though).
You can see it pretty well if you stick your head in the machine from the
left side and look with a flashlight. There is a guide pin on the assembly.
It is possible to put it in and not have it seat all the way.  I always
confirm it by looking at the back left side of the machine, and checking
from the front with the gate assembly removed.  Also, if the hot mirror is
not put back in correctly, this might also contribute to problems.

Craig Nichols
Ascent Media Management Services
cnichols at ascentmedia.com <mailto:cnichols at ascentmedia.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: edwindino [mailto:hkvanhuizens at netvigator.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2003 11:00 AM
To: tig at tig.colorist.org
Subject: [Tig] (no subject)

Hi TIGers,
I was wondering if anybody out there can help me with a question. I'm
driving a 2K with a Spirit and from what I know even if you change the bulb
your session should look the same even after a couple of months, which is
the case here in our facility.  But twice in a couple of months our engineer
here cleaned the light path and and lenses and the grades seem to go wacky.
The blacks on the red and blue channels seems to lift up about 15% higher,
and its not really the same for each shot.  Its a real problem, bcos we do a
lot of feature restoration work, and sometimes we need to go back to the
session weeks after its final output for touch up. We output about 14 titles
a month from original camera neg which you can imagine is crazy and yes
warping on the Spirit is a bitch. I'd really appreciate any kind of help or
advice.

Edwin Van Huizen
Senior Colorist
Shaw Brothers Studios