[Tig] RE: Cleaning Spirit light path

Craig Nichols cnichols
Mon May 5 20:35:02 BST 2003

I have seen over zealous use of heat sink compound cause similar problems,
and also contribute to premature lamp failure.  I like to clean off the
metal with alcohol and apply a very thin layer of fresh compound when
replacing bulbs.  Thermal compound is one place where "more is NOT better".

Craig Nichols
Ascent Media Management Services
cnichols at ascentmedia.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Veitschegger [mailto:w_veitschegger at ivchd.com]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 10:18 AM
To: tig at tig.colorist.org
Subject: [Tig] RE: Cleaning Spirit light path

Don Trepczyk supports the tig.

Edwin,
Although normally the Spirits are relatively drift-free,
we found that when replacing the projection lamp, if you
do not thoroughly clean off the old heat sink compound
from the mounting clamp assembly (and apply new compound
sparingly), you can get a major change in color channels,
just as you describe.  Another symptom of too much compound
is a drift in lamp current.  Other than that, I have not
seen a color change associated with cleaning the light path.
Regards,
Wayne Veitschegger
Chief Engineer
IVC High Definition Center
Burbank, CA  91504
w_veitschegger at ivchd.com

--
No marketing or advertising on the tig.  (help wanted ads excepted)
Send such submissions to rob at calarts.edu
or http://colorist.org/tig3/info.html#money