[Tig] Color Grading in NLEs

Martin Euredjian ecinema
Wed May 7 22:22:53 BST 2003

From: Kevin Monahan

>working on the Color Correction chapter
> How do you choose your color combinations? I asked a number of
colorists I know and they have not heard of using color theory to assist
in color choice.

Maybe the term "Correction" is the problem here.  The job is more about
creative color composition (or enhancement) than about "correcting" or
fixing something.  In that context, color science, you could argue, has very
little absolute value.

I think I can safely say that, for the most part, producing gross
distortions from what's already on film/tape is very rare.  The colors, in a
sense, are already chosen by the DP/Set-designer/Nature etc.  The Colorist
gets to artistically blend and enhance what comes across his/her desk.

I forwarded you note to someone who might be able to provide you with
valuable insight.

Martin Euredjian
eCinema Systems, Inc.
voice: 661-305-9320