Fw: [Tig] Color Grading in NLEs

Craig Leffel craig
Fri May 16 20:40:48 BST 2003

RE: [Tig] Color Grading in NLEs
----- Original Message -----
From: Craig Leffel
To: Jean-Clement Soret
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 10:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Tig] Color Grading in NLEs

JC wrote:
  .
  I understood that choosing a curve was like choosing a lab process, they can be used to wrap the look of an image at the end allowing you to manipulate the image underneath with a lot more range. Depending of the equipment you use, curves will give you different results but they use the same principles. The "creative package" on Spirit with B and W compression or stretch is a curve with fixed points, so is the color corrector in DSX. Colossus, IQ Fettle or Pandora Megagamma curves have huge possibilities, are interactive and predictable when you get used to the translation between the GUI and the effect on the image.

  I find pen and tablet far more adequate than using knobs when building a curve because you create a transfer function that has to make sense and avoid banding and solarisation which happens when your curve gets flat or does not increment, with knobs you are never quite sure which part of the curve you manipulate and end up doing a lot of trial and error.

  . Craig, I do respect your opinion but I have the impression that your opinion might be slightly biased by the kind of equipment you use.

  Hi JC.

  Just to be clear as mud ---  I agree with everything you said. Redefining the overall per channel curve or even the luminance curve of an entire shot is a great use of curves. There are plenty of solid technical reasons to use curves, print emulation being one of the smartest. What I object to is the suggestion on some workstations that curves be used as a mainstay color correction tool -- as a way to balance a shot or do gross manipulations or treatments. They are at best a technical translation tool, and in my everyday work, a finesse tool. Not a way to suggest to newbies or non-colorists as a way to "Color correct".

  I actually liked fettle a lot when used in conjunction with fundamental color correction tools......

  When you say they are predictable, I'm guessing that you are either making very gradual changes, or you are affecting RGB in similar manners. When each channel's curve is radically different, and for sure radically different from each other, the outcome is not what I would call "predictable" without a lot of experience. I guess I should say again that my concern with this tool is it's use by non-colorists and even inexperienced ones as a way to do aggressive color correction. Why am I all worked up? I've just been seeing a number of editors and graphics folks using this tool in a way that I find objectionable. Especially if I have to go in and re-work their efforts - a la tape to tape or workstation timeline...

  Thanks for your reply and graciousness -- I'm sure many are rolling their eyes at me, but I like the discussion...

  Craig Leffel

  Optimus