[Tig] hollywood art, where it went.

Rob Lingelbach rob
Wed May 28 00:56:25 BST 2003

Yesterday's edition of the LA Times has a column by Frank
Pierson, who wrote some great films and is president of the
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, about the
takeover of Hollywood (that is to say, the Hollywood
signifying studios in the US creating motion pictures) by
big business.  The article is at
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe-pierson26may26,1,4395851.story

you might have to register but there's no charge to read it.

Here's a sample:

---
The '60s and the '70s produced movies now looked upon as a
golden age: "The Godfather," "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's
Nest," "Dr. Strangelove," "Taxi Driver," "Chinatown,"
"Clockwork Orange," "Annie Hall," "Midnight Cowboy," "MASH,"
"Bonnie and Clyde" and a couple I like, "Dog Day Afternoon"
and "Cool Hand Luke." Even "Easy Rider," which symbolized
the anarchistic spirit of that drug-ridden time, was a
Columbia release.

Then, on Wall Street, it began to be noticed that a single
blockbuster movie could make in a weekend what a substantial
business made in a year.

Warner Bros. was bought by Seven Arts, Seven Arts was bought
by Kinney Shoes, and the whole mess now is owned by AOL Time
Warner (as are HBO, Warner Books, Turner networks and CNN).
Viacom owns Paramount, CBS, Showtime cable and Blockbuster.
Of the 100-odd prime-time shows that will premiere on the
four networks this fall and winter, more than 30 - including
CBS newsmagazines - will be made by companies owned by
Viacom. An additional 25 or so will be made by Rupert
Murdoch's News Corp., which owns the Fox network.

--

(the above copyright the LA Times and only quoted here for
private use.)

I had been trying to figure out why I was only going to see
independent and foreign films for the past couple of
decades, and also not owning a television.

feel free to disagree with me, i write this not as any
principle of the TIG but as a personal comment.

--Rob Lingelbach
TIG Founder-coadmin, colorist