lexicon (was: Re: [tig] Vertical banding in HD)

Rob Lingelbach rob
Tue Sep 30 16:31:02 BST 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:01:36AM -0400, Dave Corbitt wrote:
> But then, GV/Thomson's
> Spirit 4K is not really a telecine either but a film scanner. By telecine,
> I mean a film scanning machine capable of real time scanning at whatever
> res demanded.

would these be appropriate clarifications for our current lexicon:

1) ?telecine? = real-time image translation device with film
     input, video output; resolution undetermined but not
     greater than HD  (can also be ?SD telecine? ?HD
     telecine etc.)

2) ?film scanner? or ?film scanning machine? = non-real-time
     image translation device with film input, data output;
     resolution greater than HD

3) ?scanning telecine? = ?real-time film scanner? with film
     input, video or data output; resolution greater than HD

[ hey remember when we had to use the "Lexicon" and had our
first sampling of what our digital world was to become? ]

Rob Lingelbach
TIG coadmin-founder