[tig] Syncing from DVD-RAM

David L. Tosh dlt
Wed Sep 3 15:56:00 BST 2003

>Does anyone on this list have experience syncing in telecine from DVD-RAM
>audio recorded with the Zaxcom DEVA 2 field recorder?

Yes, The HBO movie "*61" was done with all audio directly from DEVA
field recordings played back on a Tascam MMR-8

>If so, are any of you
>using the Fostex DV40 DVD-RAM studio deck for playback?  Any comments from
>this experience on compatibility between the DEVA and the DV40?

We did not playback DEVA recordings on the DV40 so no direct experience there.

"Will and Grace" records directly on DV40 on set and syncs in
telecine with another DV40 under TLC control. The machine seems solid
and well thought out.

My experience with DEVA playback in the TASCAM MMR8 was that the DEVA
format had some quirks and undocumented items that complicated the
effort. TASCAM indicated that they had to spend a lot of time to get
basic functionality from the media and I found some bugs that hadn't
been worked out as of the latest software.
--

David Tosh
<dlt at earthlink.net>