[tig] Always a need for color correctors

David L. Tosh dlt
Fri Sep 26 17:03:13 BST 2003

At 7:30 PM -0400 9/25/03, jeffh wrote:

>...I am going to assume that there will always be a demand for
>color correctors and the like,

I think there will always be a need for the color correction process
somewhere in the production chain between camera and display. The
talents of a "Colorist" will be involved somewhere in that process.

All other similarities to what we are used to today are doubtful.

Some color correction parameters are influenced by the display
environment. The human vision system just works differently in a
partially dark adapted theater on a wide screen than when in the
typical living room environment. Efforts continue to provide
"correction" for the end use but it's still important to have a
colorist involved.

Some color correction parameters are influenced by context-- the
final color can be best adjusted after the edit is complete. The
colorist needs to be involved at this stage of the production.

Content creators, the DP and others who design the look of the scene,
will be able to record their intent for the scene without
compromising the technical dynamic range of the media. Are these
intents recorded as metadata  to be regarded as "colorist" input? (An
then there are those eleventh hour committee decisions by the quorum
of agency-types in the back of the room.)

Michael Arbuthnot of daVinci has made some pretty convincing
arguments about the viability of hardware color corrections systems
in the future. But after I step out of the local reality distortion
field (apologies to Mr. Jobs) and tally up the number of software
offerings today, you realize that the post production suite built
around a million dollars worth of hardware will be rare.

--

David Tosh
former facility support for color correctors