[tig] Always a need for color correctors

Rob Lingelbach rob
Fri Sep 26 17:15:37 BST 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 09:03:13AM -0700, David L. Tosh wrote:

> I think there will always be a need for the color correction process
> somewhere in the production chain between camera and display. The
> talents of a "Colorist" will be involved somewhere in that process.

in the days of tube cameras (like we used at Unitel NY - the
big Norelco-Philips PC70) in a multiple camera shoot,
shading and color response and alignment were the province
of the Video Engineeer (or sometimes just called Video) who
manned the Camera Control Units, these big desk-like
appliances, with so many knobs, it was to me the coolest job
and you got to wear a headset and listen to the crazy
directors (Ruben Shapiro comes to mind).  The function of
the Video Engineer was very much like that of a colorist.

--Rob Lingelbach
TIG coadmin-founder, unix admin, colorist