[tig] White balancing, DVDs

jeffh jeffh
Thu Apr 1 23:27:38 BST 2004

All right ? I probably should know this, and I think I do,
but I am going to ask anyway (uhh, no such thing as a
stupid question, right?  lol)  What exactly is the ?art? of
white balancing; how is it done?  I *think* I understand it
in theory ? using the primaries to get the whites to look
white before anything else (no?) - but what exactly is the
process?  Use TAF?  Grey scale?  Eyeball it?  Anything
one should be looking at on the scopes? What if
you have no grey scale/chart, or any other means of
aligning (talking workprint here)?

Secondly, can someone suggest a good DVD or two to
get that would be good to use as a  compare to a
workpicture xfer?  I am looking for something that has
good flesh tone, some bright/outdoor scenes, and some
dark/indoor scenes, that I can use as a point of reference.
I know what looks good to me, but was hoping to get a
few suggestions from some of you pros out there.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Jeff/Sound One