[tig] White balancing, DVDs

Rob Lingelbach rob
Fri Apr 2 14:49:25 BST 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 08:04:07PM -0800, Marc Wielage wrote:

> And sometimes, if you make the blacks precisely black and the whites
> precisely white, it may adversely affect the mid-tones.

don?t colorists all know what you mean, and particularly
different for the various film stocks.

I have been shot down many times for bringing up
semantics-engineering subjects on the TIG over the years
(amber vs. yellow; lights from airplanes; etc. etc.) :] but
can?t help in this case wonder why is the response of a
signal divided into three ranges of black, white, and
midrange, when we could easily have many more?   I wonder if
the midtone range came into being as a somewhat mistaken
translation of what the term "gamma" means, where instead
gamma is a curve, and not a specific area of response?  It
makes more sense to think of the black through white balance
of a picture in dynamic (free from artificial division)
terms rather than trying to refer to three distinct ranges,
where there really is no distinction.

This is more a semantic point than an engineering one, as
most of us would probably agree on the engineering
background of gamma as a function, rather than as a
distinction.

--
Rob Lingelbach  colorist
tig founder, coadmin