FW: [tig] White balancing, DVDs

Laurence Claydon laurence
Tue Apr 6 10:29:07 BST 2004

Hi,
?
I heard the practice of Colour correction using 'scopes referred to as an 'Engineers Grade'. This criticism was more than once leveled at me (the Engineer) whilst checking front end noise or clipping on a Mark III.
?
Typically the less-than-experienced colorist had not even checked the PEC's and they were either in clip or running with nearly no HT.
?
This kind of leads on to the brace of WFM's and Vectorscopes one requires if doing HD/SD dual-sync dailies, with a Technical Grade in HD on the primaries and a Best-Light SD for the Editor on the Secondaries.
?
Talking of using your eyes to (heavan forbid!) grade with, does anybody else wake up in the morning with a slightly blue bias in one eye and a slightly red bias in the other- and it swaps over! Is this an interesting phenomenon for discussion on the TIG or do I need my head recalibrating?
?
Laurence 'Tuesday, left eye about a point cyan' Claydon
Bell Theatre Services Ltd
?
?