[tig] Test loops

Craig Nichols craig_nichols
Thu Apr 8 07:03:51 BST 2004

The last time I needed audio test film for 35mm
optical alignment, about 18 months ago, I obtained
Dolby film from a Dolby Professional Cinema dealer.  I
do not remember the CAT numbers, but I think the pink
and dolby tone come under one CAT number as a kit.

I was using these three films: Pink noise, Dolby tone,
and something I believe they called "slit test film".
The slit film has 6 different frequency tones on it
that should reproduce equally when the film is in the
optimum position for a mono head.  It can also be used
for stereo position by summing both pickups to mono to
your audio spectrum analyzer.  If I remember
correctly, the last dealer I used was Bay Area Cinema
Products in Nothern California. Dolby has a list on
their website of dealers. Ultra Stereo may also still
make 35mm test film.  If you need 16mm, good luck.

Don't work for any of these folks, and I rarely do
audio anymore these days.

Craig Nichols
Thomson Broadcast

--- "Johnston, Ray" <rayj at aav.com.au> wrote:
> thanks to Laurence Claydon for supporting the TIG.
> --
>
> Are SMPTE ever going to have Photographic (Optical)
> Sound Test Films, back

=====
Craig Nichols
Thomson Broadcast and Media Solutions
Senior Techincal Support Engineer / Film
2055 N. Ontario Suite 150
Burbank, CA 91504
818-729-7720
craig_nichols at yahoo.com