[tig] Fw: 4K for DI - Unappealing image quality

Rob Lingelbach rob
Tue Apr 13 21:29:39 BST 2004

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 10:08:59PM +0200, mhafner at imdb.com wrote:

> Hm. But wouldn't you agree that any digital grain reduction that actually
> is effective in reducing grain leaves a trail of artifacts behind?

not always, and not when used with discretion.

> I'll take some grain any
> day over the artifical look of somewhat less grain plus stochastic noise from
> the filters the sum of which does not look like film grain and film anymore.

It?s always nice to learn a new word.  I also tend to like
grain better than digital artifacts, but have worked as a
colorist in situations where a little bit of grain reduction
from a good system such as is available today is preferable
to none, on many projects.

--Rob

Rob Lingelbach
tig founder, coadmin