[tig] Fw: 4K for DI - Unappealing image quality

Marc Wielage mfw
Wed Apr 14 04:36:15 BST 2004

On 4/13/04 1:08 PM, "mhafner at imdb.com" <mhafner at imdb.com> wrote:

> But wouldn't you agree that any digital grain reduction that actually
> is effective in reducing grain leaves a trail of artifacts behind?
>--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

Go rent the DVD of OPEN RANGE, and you tell me.  We had zero complaints from
Disney's QC department, and their DVD people tell me it went through MPEG
compression just fine.  It also got very good reviews from all the major
U.S. video mags -- not they they're necessarily bright, when it comes to
spotting problems like NR lag.

Don't forget, there is such a thing as grain-reduction algorithms that are
non-real-time.  These have to be rendered -- sometimes overnight -- and have
zero artifacts because they don't rely on temporal information in the
frames.  The only problem with this method is, you don't get the instant
gratification of real-time NR.

So the answer is no:  not all grain reduction is created alike.

--Marc Wielage
  LA colorist-at-large