[tig] Da Vinci 2k EDLs

Marc Wielage mfw
Wed Apr 14 04:38:54 BST 2004

On 4/13/04 1:03 PM, "Michael Most" <mmost at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Every package has its own algorithms for color correction. There is
> little to no commonality between them, therefore no logical way to
> implement the same visual result in any kind of automated way.
>--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

I totally agree.  Heck, even the guys in the (somewhat-simpler) world of
audio can't transfer simple audio session lists between, say, ProTools and
Nuendo, or Logic and Fairlight.  And the moment the sessions get more
complex, with dozens of plug-ins and EQ settings and compressors and so
on... it ain't gonna work.

Even getting audio mixing information from a video editing program into
ProTools is very tricky.  This is an incredibly complicated area, for all
the reasons you state.  And I firmly believe that audio mixing isn't as
complicated as video color-correction, having done both.

What makes me crazy is when companies come out with new versions of
color-correction software, and often none of the old lists can be converted
to the new file format used by the new systems.  That makes me crazy -- and
all the major vendors are guilty of this ongoing problem.  Since the list
information is still controlling the same hardware -- the same Spirit or
Rank or whatever -- it ain't rocket science to make this work.

--Marc Wielage
  LA colorist-at-large